Repairing Burst Water Pipes
Trident Plumbers believe that every homeowner should know where their main water shut-off valve is located and how to turn off the water to their home. Our plumbers will instruct you as to where your water shut-off valve is located for your home.
What do you do if a pipe bursts in your home?
Every homeowner needs to know what to do when a pipe bursts. In February 2021, many homeowners in North Texas found out how important it is to have a water shut off key and to know how to shut off the water to their homes. Unfortunately a majority of homeowners learned the hard way, as pipes burst from the record-breaking cold temperatures and their homes experienced water damage during the winter storm of the century.
These quick and simple steps can save months of aggravation.
Steps to Take When a Pipe Bursts
- Turn Off Your Water – Find Out Where Your Water Shut-off Valve is Located and how to turn it off.
- Turn on a faucet to relieve the water pressure in your pipes.
- Call a Plumber.
- Grab a mop and a bucket or a shop vacuum to get rid of any water that leaked, to minimize further damage to your drywall and flooring.
- Locate the burst pipe and if the pipe burst due to cold and ice, turn up the heat in your home and try to blow warm air on the area.
- Place towels and a bucket to catch any additional drips that may occur from the pipe.
- If you can, place a piece of rubber or a clamp over the burst pipe.