Plumbing Facts than can cause a Leak in your Bank Account
Did you know?
- A running toilet wastes 4-5 gallons of water per minute. Can you imagine how much that will increase your water bill?
- A faucet that drips just once per second can waste more than 3,000 gallons of water per year.
- An average US family of four goes through approximately 400 gallons of water daily. (2021)
- Flushing the toilet consumes about 38 percent of the average U.S. household’s water usage.
- By installing a low-flush toilet, you can save up to 18,000 gallons of water a year.
- There are two different types of plungers – a toilet plunger and a sink/shower plunger.
- Toilet plungers narrow at the bottom to fit into the toilet
- Sink/shower plungers are flat.
- Set your hot water heater to no hotter than 125 degrees F.
- Why? Because water at a temperature of 140 degrees can burn your skin in seconds. Water at 160 degrees will scald you in just half a second.
- 95% of the water entering our homes goes down the drain.
- In a typical home, more than 9,000 gallons of water are wasted while running the faucet waiting for hot water.
- As much as 15% of your annual water heating costs can be wasted heating this extra 9,000 gallons.
- A tankless hot water heater will only heat water that you use, saving you money! Read More about Tankless Water Heaters Here.
- Showering uses less water than baths on average. Install low-flow showerheads to conserve more water and save money.
- Copper pipes are naturally antibacterial and 100% recyclable.
- Pipe insulation helps to lower heat loss and can also save you money.
- It is recommended to have a plumber check your pipes in your home twice a year.
- Check out the Trident Service Plan
Silly and Fun facts
But of course, we couldn’t resist adding some fun and silly facts in here as well.
- The average person spends three whole years of their life sitting on the toilet.
- Copper piping – the primary material used today in plumbing –was used by the Egyptians to lay their own pipes.
- The second leading cause of clogged toilets (too much toilet paper is #1) is – Kids toys, which are usually flushed by a child too young to know better, can wreak havoc on your pipes.
- After saying that he would be a plumber if he had to live his life all over again, Albert Einstein became an honorary member of the Plumbers and the Steamfitters Union.
- Ozzy Osbourne was a Plumbing apprentice before making his name in music.
The first toilet paper was used in 6th century A.D. in medieval China. The inventor of the modern commercial toilet paper was Joseph Gayetty in 1857. The first patent for toilet paper and dispensers was issued in 1883 in New York. And people have been arguing about the “correct way” to put the toilet paper roll on the dispenser ever since.